This one is for my man, who loves caramel popcorn. I have been meaning to make this for a while now and after how fast and painless it was I wish I did it sooner! Stop overspending on bagged caramel corn, in 10 minutes you can save and amaze yourself with how easy it is to make this at home!
Just a quick side note -> there is a difference between the type of popcorn you choose. The regular movie style popcorn which, is the most common is called butterfly popcorn. It’s odd shape means you need less to fill a bag and is also harder to coat evenly with caramel sauce. The type of popcorn you get when you buy bags of caramel corn is called mushroom popcorn. It’s more compact and round like the top of a mushroom and coats nicely with caramel sauce. You don’t have to go on a mad hunt for mushroom popcorn by any means but if your like me…well I kind of had to try it and I did find it was easier
- 7 cups plain popped butterfly popcorn or 5 cups of plain popped mushroom popcorn – see above note
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 3 tbs corn syrup (optional, if you don’t have it, it will still work. Just adds shine to the caramel)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250°
- Place popcorn in a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat (about 5 on the dial) melt the butter, brown sugar and corn syrup together, whisking until well combined.
- Once bubbles start to form, start timer for 3 minutes.
- Continue whisking the entire time he stove is on the pot to prevent the caramel from burning.
- Omce 3 minutes is up, add the vanilla and whisk for another minute then add the baking soda and whisk until well combined.
- Remove the pot from the heat and immediately pour over the popcorn.
- Working quickly begin mixing the popcorn and caramel together with a wooden spoon. You have to be fast as the popcorn will caused caramel to cool off fast.
- Once you can no longer cover the popcorn with caramel by spoon and it’s cool enough to touch you can begin mixing by hand to ensure a more even coating.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and spread out evenly. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving. Approx 1 hour.