My man is a sandwich and sub fanatic. He is always happy when I tell him I’m lazy and we’re having subs for dinner. Last night I whipped up an Italian Sub and it’s royally shareable. It was a quick fix packed with flavor! If you want something simple and fast this is a definite go to!
This recipe is per sub
- 1 sub bun
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Provolone cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 small green pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- Shredded head lettuce
- Red onion, thinly sliced and pickled (see steps below)
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- Tuscany ham
- Italian salad dressing
- Salt and pepper to taste
If you are pickling your red onions and I highly recommend it because it gives something special to the sub. You will want to make this about 15 – 20 minutes or the night before so they have time to absorbed the vinegars. This will make enough for 3-4 subs and can be doubled if needed.
- In a small bowl mix together the vinegars and the thinly sliced red onion. Make sure the onions are evenly covered. Allow to pickle for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Slice sub bun and place Provolone and parmesan cheese on both sides of the sliced bun and sprinkle one side with oregano and the other side with the basil. Broil in the oven until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and add mayo on one side, mustard on the other. Put your pepperoni, salami and ham on the mustard side.
- Add pepper to the mayo and add the sliced tomatoes and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Add the sliced green peppers and shredded lettuce and drizzle with Italian salad dressing. Not too much or it’ll be super messy. About 1 tbs should be enough.
- Fold the sub together, slice in half and go to town!