BBQ sauce is a really fun thing to make at home and much healthier than store bought. I spent my afternoon adding spices and tasting the sauce until it was right and I am very happy with the final results!
I used 1 tsp of the crushed red chili peppers and it had a nice kick of heat to it, if you prefer less spice I recommend using 1/2 tsp.
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs worcestershire
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs cooking molasses
- 6 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 3 tsp smoked pepper
- 1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/2 – 1 tsp crushed red chili peppers (optional)
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 2 large Bay leaves
- 3 tbs chopped red onion
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- In a large pot over medium high heat bring all ingredients to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally .
- Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove any chucks.
***Store in fridge for up to a month***