I’m a pretty big fan of pies, mostly because of the crust. My total week spot is flaky pie crust. So we all know about lard and how it makes a flaky crust but what if you could add to it for the ultimate flake? Well it turns out if your looking for that ultimate flake, a combination of lard and vodka is what you really want to use. You only need a mini bottle of good quality vodka to make this light and flaky pie crust.
Makes 1 full pie crust
- 2 cups + 1/2 cup for rolling, all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 ice cold water
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbs butter, cold & cubed
- 2 tbs lard, cold & cubed
- 1 tbs good quality vodka ( grey goose is a good option and the minis are affordable )
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk flour & salt together.
- Using a fork or a food processor blend flour, salt, butter and lard together until it has the appearance of fine bread crumbs.
- Pour in vodka and mix well. Larger clumps should start to form in the mix.
- Pour in the cold water and mix until a ball has formed.
- Firmly wrap in saran wrap and let the dough rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Separate dough into 2 8 oz pieces. On a floured surface roll out to fit the pie dish.
- Fill crust and bake according to pie directions.