What’s a better way to spruce up your homemade salad dressing then with infused oils? Maybe you want to put a little extra zip into your marinades. Wherever you use oil you can substitute unflavored for flavored. They are pricey to buy at the store but easy and affordable to do at home.
Here is have a dandy little kitchen tool called a Sous Vide. It maintains a constant temperature which makes it ideal and incredibly easy to cook the most delicate items. Infusing oils with fresh herbs and vegtables requires a consistent low heat for an extended period of time so you can extract the flavor without deep-frying it. Not everyone has a sous vide or wants to purchase such an item. You do not require one but you do need to have a candy thermometer so you can maintain the heat at 131°F on the stove top.
This oil nicely compliments Caesar Salad Dressing, marinades and try it next time you make a Greek Salad Dressing.
This recipe is per jar
- 1 500 ml canning jar
- 2 cups oil
- 3 lemon slices
- small handful of fresh oregano (stems and leaves)
Sous Vide Method
- Preheat Sous Vide water to 131°
- Place 3 lemon slices in the bottom of each jar.
- Place oregano on top of the lemon.
- Pour 2 cups of oil into each jar leaving 1 inch of space from the rim of the jar.
- Tightly seal the lids onto the jars and submerge jars into the water.
- Leave jars for 3 hours.
- Remove and cool on counter.
Stove Top Method
- Attach candy thermometer to a large pot. Pour all the oil into the pot and slowly heat to 131° on the thermometer.
- Once you have reached and managed to keep the temperature at 131° you can add the lemon slices and all the oregano into the oil.
- Cover with a lid and leave for 3 hours checking the temperature constantly.
- Once 3 hours is up, using a pair of tongs put the 3 lemon slices in the jar and oregano on top.
- Using a funnel pour oil into the jars leaving 1 inch of space from the rim of the jar.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
Store in your pantry or fridge.
***The oil will be cloudier than when you started. This is normal***