Another simple flat bread is the ever so loved tortilla and what is better than freshly made that day by you? They are fairly quickly to make and do only require 5 ingredients you most likely already have lying around. I guess that can qualify as cheaper than buying them too 😉
This recipe makes half a dozen 8.5 inch tortillas. Double recipe if more are needed.
- 1 & 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 & 1/2 tbs oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix in oil and mix together with your hands until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. See photo 👇
- Pour in hot water and mix with a wooden spoon until a ball has formed.
- Drop dough onto a floured workspace and begin kneading adding flour a handful at a time until it no longer sticks to yiur hands but is still very soft. Do not knead in to much flour. Depending on your elevation the amount of flour varies.
- Once dough is no longer sticky wrap in cling wrap and let rest for 30 mins on the counter.
- Divide dough into half a dozen even pieces or a dozen if you doubled the batch ( I weigh mine on my kitchen scale so each piece is 2 ounces ) cover with saran wrap or seal in a plastic bag to prevent dough from drying.
- Heat griddle to 400°, place a piece of paper towel inside a large ziploc bag and roll out the first piece of dough as round as you can make it. With practice it gets better and easier.
- Heat for 1 – 2 mins per side. My griddle takes about a minute and a half and I flip and remove when they start to get light brown spots. You don’t want to brown them to much or they will be crunchy and brittle instead of soft and pliable.
- As soon as the tortilla is done cooking remove put it in the ziploc bag on top of the paper towel, place another paper towel on top of the tortilla and seal shut.
This is very important as the heat will begin to create sweat inside the bag and the paper towel will become damp helping the tortillas soften up and become even more pliable. Continue this process until all tortillas are cooked.